Apple Mac Advanced Deployment 10.11 — A 3 day course
The Apple Mac OS X Deployment v10.11 training course is a 3 day instructor led event with plenty of hands on labs that provides a really in-depth look at how to deploy OS X systems.
The course covers a range of topics starting with comprehensive planning of a new deployment of Macs, providing students with better awareness of how to develop a stable deployment strategy. Then investigating all methods of deployment from single files to multiple OS X systems.
Through out the course students will use a number of Apple tools including NetBoot & the NetInstall Service, Software Update Server, Caching Service, Profile Manager, Remote Desktop, System Image Utility and Package Maker. This course also offers an introduction to the DeployStudio deployment package, which offers some great features to optimise Mac Deployment.
The course starts with an overview of what planning is required to develop a strategy for a deployment scenario.
Deploying Individual Items and Containers
- Deployment can often involve just single files, archives and containers that need to be installed or updated to an OS X system. We will look at how to use Apple's Remote Desktop software and OS X Server for this purpose.
- Explanation of the differences between packages, bundles and archives as well as handling legacy OS resource forks. Mavericks' GateKeeper security feature is also covered.
- How Apple's installer technology works for software distribution, including how to create custom installation packages using GUI tools and the command line
- There is also a dedicated lesson covering two alternative installation solutions, the open-source project Munki and the commercial Casper Suite
Creating Entire System Images
- Learn how to create full system images for a complete deployment of OS X Mavericks. Understand the differences between cloned systems and modular systems
- Learn how to completely customise system images, which is a useful tool in your arsenal when deploying macs
Deploying System Images
- Install and configure Apple's NetInstall service for Deployment. Creating and managing NetBoot, NetRestore and NetInstall System Images
Post Imaging Deployment Considerations and System Maintenance
- Discuss the various techniques available to apply post installation configuration such as setting the Firmware password, modifying preferences and Post Imaging Serialization
- Learn how to keep your OS X clients updated via the Apple Software Update sever or the Mavericks' Caching Service
- A range of features available through Remote Desktop are discussed
Deploying Macs with DeployStudio
- The DeployStudio deployment package for additional Deployment features which work perfectly with Apple's NetInstall service
- A collection of hands on labs you will be able to configure pre and post imaging scripts to perform common tasks such as naming computers, binding to active directory and configuring other computer specific settings
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
London — £950 (+VAT)
This class is for Apple Mac OS X system administrators who need to know how to streamline the process of installing and configuring a large number of computers running Mac OS X.
Students should have the following prerequisite knowledge prior to attending this course:
Understanding of OS X
Basic troubleshooting experience or attendance on OS X Support Essentials v10.11 course
Basic OS X Server experience or attendance on OS X Server Essentials v10.11 course
Experience with OS X in a network environment
Experience using the command-line interface with OS X