Report Writing for IT Professionals — A 2 day course
Do you need to provide information to support important decisions that affect personnel or involve sizeable expenditure?
Are you concerned that you don't always get your point across in the most planned, structured, concise and persuasive manner?
Do you want your work to be thought of as well researched, carefully thought out, balanced, objective and impartial?
In the business world, reports are requested prior to managers taking important decisions so report writing is an essential business tool.
The term 'technical report' indicates a document with weight and authority - your new skills will enable the busy recipient to give your reports reading time, attention and action.
Delegates will learn how to:
- Identify your barriers and strengths when writing technical reports
- Explain the advantages of a systematic approach to writing technical reports
- Review the use of appropriate grammar, punctuation and plain English
- Recognise the necessity of avoiding the use of too many words, clichés and jargon
- Effectively plan a report with the appropriate level of detail required
- Research and prepare your report content in accordance with the exact needs of the reader
- Structure the report to ensure maximum impact and readability
- Recognise the reader's preferred style and match the words to their style
- Assess the appropriateness of using visuals to enhance your message
- Critically review your own work
Establish personal objectives for the course
Personal strengths and improvement areas in report writing
What is a technical report and the types of technical report
What makes a good report?
Planning a report
Review of punctuation, grammar and spelling
Keeping your average sentence short
Presenting your report professionally
The importance of the objective
Organising your ideas with Mind mapping
The use of jargon and reducing the number words and clichés
Writing in plain English
Identifying communication styles
Management and executive summaries
Writing "benefit" statements
Writing one page reports
Editing your report
Report writing practise
Completion of a personal action plan
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
London — £845 (+VAT)
Anyone working in any aspect of a technical environment where producing technical reports is part of the job role would benefit from attending this course.