Microsoft Course 2791 - Implementing and Maintaining Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services — A 3-Day Course
Please note that this course has been retired and is no longer available. Please see the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 page for courses currently available in this subject area.
This three-day instructor-led M2791 course teaches students how to implement an Analysis Services solution in an organization. The course discusses how to use the Analysis Services development tools to create an Analysis Services database and an OLAP cube, and how to use the Analysis Services management and administrative tools to manage an Analysis Services solution.
On completion of this M2791 training course, students should be able to:
- Describe how SQL Server Analysis Services can be used to implement analytical solutions
- Create multidimensional analysis solutions with SQL Server Analysis Services
- Implement dimensions in an Analysis Services solution
- Implement measures and measure groups in an Analysis Services solution
- Query a multidimensional Analysis Services solution
- Customize an Analysis Services cube
- Deploy and Secure an Analysis Services database
- Maintain a multidimensional Analysis Services solution
- Implement a Data Mining solution
This course is intended for information technology (IT) professionals and developers who need to implement analysis solutions by using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services.
Before attending this course, students should have the following prerequisites:
- Conceptual understanding of OLAP solutions
- Experience navigating the Microsoft Windows Server environment
- Experience with Windows services (starting and stopping)
- Experience creating service accounts and permissions
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server, including:
- SQL Server Agent
- SQL Server query language (SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, and DELETE)
- SQL Server System tables
- SQL Server accounts (users and permissions)
In addition, to get the most out of this course delegates should have completed:
- M2780 Maintaining a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Database
- M2779 Implementing a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Database
This course has been retired and is no longer available.
Outline Course Contents
Introduction to Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services
This module introduces common analysis scenarios and describes how Analysis Services provides a powerful platform for multidimensional OLAP solutions and data mining solutions. The module then describes the main considerations for installing Analysis Services.
- Overview of Data Analysis Solutions
- Overview of SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services
- Installing SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services
Module 2: Creating Multidimensional Analysis Solutions
This module introduces the development tools you can use to create an Analysis Services multidimensional analysis solution, and describes how to create data sources, data source views, and cubes.
- Developing Analysis Services Solutions
- Data Sources and Data Source Views
- Creating a Cube
- Lab: Creating a Multidimensional Analysis Solution
Working with Dimensions
This module describes how to edit dimensions and to configure dimensions, attributes, and hierarchies.
- Configuring Dimensions
- Defining Hierarchies
- Sorting and Grouping Attributes
- Lab: Defining Dimensions
Working with Measures and Measure Groups
This module explains how to edit and configure measures and measure groups.
- Working with Measures
- Working with Measure Groups
- Lab: Configuring Measures and Measure Groups
Querying Multidimensional Analysis Solutions
This module introduces multidimensional expressions (MDX) and describes how to implement calculated members and named sets in an Analysis Services cube.
- MDX Fundamentals
- Adding Calculations to a Cube
- Querying a Cube
Customizing Cube Functionality
This module explains how to customize a cube by implementing key performance indicators (KPIs), actions, perspectives, and translations.
- Implementing Key Performance Indicators
- Implementing Actions
- Implementing Perspectives
- Implementing Translations
- Lab: Customizing a Cube
Deploying and Securing an Analysis Services Database
This module describes how to deploy an Analysis Services database to a production server, and how to implement security in an Analysis Services multidimensional solution.
- Deploying an Analysis Services Database
- Securing an Analysis Services Database
- Lab: Deploying and Securing an Analysis Services Database
Maintaining a Multidimensional Solution
This module discusses the maintenance tasks associated with an Analysis Services solution, and describes how administrators can use the Analysis Services management tools to perform them.
- Configuring Processing Settings
- Logging, Monitoring, and Optimizing an Analysis Services Solution
- Backing Up and Restoring an Analysis Services Database
- Lab: Maintaining an Analysis Services Database
Introduction to Data Mining
This module introduces data mining, and describes how to implement data mining structures and models. It then explains how to validate data model accuracy.
- Overview of Data Mining
- Creating a Data Mining Solution
- Validating Data Mining Models
- Lab: Implementing Data Mining