Microsoft Course 6234 - Implementing and Maintaining Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services — A 3 day course
This instructor-led Microsoft M6234 course teaches students how to implement an Analysis Services solution in an organization.
The course discusses how to use the Analysis Services development tools to create an Analysis Services database and an OLAP cube, and how to use the Analysis Services management and administrative tools to manage an Analysis Services solution.
After completing the Microsoft MS6234 training course the student will be able to:
- Describe how SQL Server Analysis Services can be used to implement analytical solutions
- Create multidimensional analysis solutions with SQL Server Analysis Services
- Implement dimensions and cubes in an Analysis Services solution
- Implement measures and measure groups in an Analysis Services solution
- Query a multidimensional Analysis Services solution
- Customize an Analysis Services cube
- Deploy and secure an Analysis Services database
- Maintain a multidimensional Analysis Services solution
- Implement a Data Mining solution
Introduction to Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services
This module introduces common analysis scenarios and describes how Analysis Services provides a powerful platform for multidimensional OLAP solutions and data mining solutions. The module then describes the main considerations for installing Analysis Services.
- Overview of Data Analysis Solutions
- Overview of SQL Server Analysis Services
- Installing SQL Server Analysis Services
Creating Multidimensional Analysis Solutions
This module introduces the development tools you can use to create an Analysis Services multidimensional analysis solution, and describes how to create data sources, data source views, and cubes.
- Developing Analysis Services Solutions
- Creating Data Sources and Data Source Views
- Creating a Cube
Working with Cubes and Dimensions
This module describes how to edit dimensions and to configure dimensions, attributes, and hierarchies.
- Configuring Dimensions
- Defining Attribute Hierarchies
- Sorting and Grouping Attributes
Working with Measures and Measure Groups
This module explains how to edit and configure measures and measure groups.
- Working With Measures
- Working with Measure Groups
Querying Multidimensional Analysis Solutions
This module introduces multidimensional expressions (MDX) and describes how to implement calculated members and named sets in an Analysis Services cube.
- MDX Fundamentals
- Adding Calculations to a Cube
Customizing Cube Functionality
This module explains how to customize a cube by implementing key performance indicators (KPIs), actions, perspectives, and translations.
- Implementing Key Performance Indicators
- Implementing Actions
- Implementing Perspectives
- Implementing Translations
Deploying and Securing an Analysis Services Database
This module describes how to deploy an Analysis Services database to a production server, and how to implement security in an Analysis Services multidimensional solution.
- Deploying an Analysis Services Database
- Securing an Analysis Services Database
Maintaining a Multidimensional Solution
This module discusses the maintenance tasks associated with an Analysis Services solution, and describes how administrators can use the Analysis Services management tools to perform them.
- Configuring Processing
- Logging, Monitoring, and Optimizing an Analysis Services Solution
- Backing Up and Restoring an Analysis Services Database
Introduction to Data Mining
This module introduces data mining, and describes how to implement data mining structures and models. It then explains how to validate data model accuracy.
- Overview of Data Mining
- Creating a Data Mining Solution
- Validating Data Mining Models
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
A schedule of dates for this subject is not currently available. Please call 0333 210 0140 or use our contact form to enquire about places and availability.
The primary audience for the Microsoft 6234 course is individuals who design and maintain business intelligence solutions for their organization. These individuals work in environments where databases play a key role in their primary job and may perform database administration and maintenance as part of their primary job responsibilities.
The secondary audience for this course is individuals who develop applications that deliver content from SQL Server Analysis Services to the organization.
Before attending this course, students should have the following prerequisites:
Conceptual understanding of OLAP solutions
Experience navigating the Microsoft Windows Server environment
Experience with Windows services (starting and stopping)
Experience creating service accounts and permissions
Experience with Microsoft SQL Server, including:
- SQL Server Agent
- SQL Server query language (SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, and DELETE)
- SQL Server System tables
- SQL Server accounts (users and permissions)
This course along with M6235 - Implementing and Maintaining Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Integration Services and M6236 - Implementing and Maintaining Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services helps candidates prepare for Exam 70-448.
When you pass Exam 70-448: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance, you complete the requirements for the following certification(s):
Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS): SQL Server 2008, Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance.
Note this exam is also required for the MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer 2008 certification.