Microsoft Course 10750 - Private Cloud Monitoring and Operations with System Center 2012 — A 5 day course
This course has been replaced with M20246 - Monitoring and Operating a Private Cloud, please review the details here.
The Microsoft M10750 course describes how to monitor and operate a private cloud with Microsoft System Center 2012. The course focuses on how to manage and administer the private cloud, and it describes how you can monitor key infrastructure elements and applications that run within the private cloud.
The course does not discuss planning and implementation, which is covered in M10751 - Configuring and Deploying a Private Cloud with System Center 2012.
On completion of the Microsoft M10750 course, delegates will be able to:
- Describe the private cloud infrastructure
- Configure and optimize business unit clouds
- Deploy cloud services
- Monitor private cloud services
- Configure application performance monitoring
- Operate and extend service management in the private cloud
- Automate incident creation, remediation, and change requests
- Implement problem management in the private cloud
- Automate Self-Service provisioning
- Protect the resources in the private cloud by using Data Protection Manager
- Configure compliance in the private cloud
- Configure SLAs, dashboards, and widgets
The Microsoft MS10750 course is intended for Datacenter administrators responsible for monitoring and protecting the private cloud infrastructure and solution architects responsible for designing private cloud architectures and extending existing private cloud solutions. Additionally, this course targets administrators who create service requests.
A secondary audience for this course may include datacenter administrators who are responsible for providing provisioning for applications that includes configuring and deploying those applications. In addition, business owners of applications or services, and administrators who implement service requests may be interested in this course.
Delegates wishing to attend the Microsoft 10750 course should have the following knowledge:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 experience
- Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) knowledge
- Networking experience
- Working knowledge of previous versions of System Center products
- Knowledge of configuration of Microsoft SharePoint
- Hyper-V knowledge
- Knowledge of data center management processes
- SAN Knowledge
This course helps candidates prepare for Exam 70-246 Monitoring and Operating a Private Cloud with System Center 2012.
This course has been retired and is no longer available.
Introduction to the Private Cloud
This module gives students an overview of a private cloud infrastructure, including what it is, the business and technical drivers behind implementing it, and how they can use System Center 2012 to monitor and operate it. Students will understand the key concepts of a private cloud and verify key components of System Center 2012.
- Overview of the Cloud Computing Model
- Requirements for the Private Cloud
- Operating a Private Cloud Infrastructure with System Center
- Maintaining the Health of the Private Cloud
- Integrating System Center Components
- Verifying the Compliance of the Private Cloud Infrastructure
Lab : Verifying the Private Cloud Infrastructure
- Verifying the Infrastructure
- Verifying System Center Components
Lab : Verifying the Compliance of the Private Cloud Infrastructure
- Checking Compliance
Configuring and Optimizing Business Unit Clouds
This module explains how to configure a new business unit cloud within Virtual Machine Manager.
- Overview of System Center Virtual Machine Manager
- Managing a Virtual Environment with Virtual Machine Manager
- Creating Business Unit Clouds
Lab : Configuring and Optimizing Business Unit Clouds
- Configuring Network Resources
- Creating the Business Unit Cloud
- Configuring Security
Deploying Cloud Services
This module explains how to deploy pre-packaged applications and create a new service template to deploy a service into the cloud.
- Overview of Service Templates
- VMM Profiles
- Web Deploy Packages
- Overview of Server App-V
- Data-Tier Application Packages
Lab : Importing and Deploying the Stock Trader Application
- Deploying a Single Tier Service
- Configuring Prerequisites
- Preparing the Stock Trader Service Template
- Deploying the Service Template
Monitoring Private Cloud Services
This module provides an overview of System Center Operations Manager. The students are shown how Operations Manager is used to monitor the various services that underpin the private cloud. The students are then shown how to deploy agents to key service components running within the private cloud. Custom monitoring is then applied to these components which include the creation of a distributed application model to give a holistic view of the health of the private cloud infrastructure.
- Overview of System Center Operations Manager
- Agent Deployment in Operations Manager
- Configuring Custom Monitoring
- Monitoring the Network Infrastructure
- Monitoring Distributed Applications
Lab : Monitoring Private Cloud Services
- Deploying an Agent
- Configuring Custom Monitoring
- Creating a Distributed Application Model
- Detecting and Recovering from a Failure
Configuring Application Performance Monitoring
This module gives students a deep insight into the Application Performance Monitoring (APM) feature of Operations Manager. A .NET application has been installed into the lab environment that will be used for this module. Students will learn to configure APM to monitor the performance and availability of this application. A break in the application is then instigated where students will see how Operations Manager detects and reports this with the Alerting and Diagnostics tools that are built into Operations Manager.
- Application Performance Monitoring
- Advanced Monitoring in Application Performance Monitoring
- Viewing Application Performance in Operations Manager
Lab : Configuring Application Performance Monitoring
- Configuring Basic Monitoring in Application Performance Monitoring
- Customizing the Performance Thresholds
- Validating Monitoring
- Creating a Distributed Application Model for the DinnerNow Application
Operating and Extending Service Management in the Private Cloud
This module explains the core functionality of Service Manager and the steps to create and manage change requests, incidents, and release records. The module also describes about the security model behind Service Manager so that students can customize and extend the integral functionality of the service.
- Overview of Service Manager
- Configuring Security and User Roles
- Configuring Work Items
- Configuring Incident Queues
- Configuring Service Offerings
Lab : Operating and Extending Service Management in the Cloud
- Configuring Security Roles
- Configuring Notifications
- Publishing an Incident Service Offering
- Raising an Incident
- Creating an Approving a Change Request
- Creating an Assigning a Release Record
Automatic Incident Creation, Remediation, and Change Requests
This module provides an overview of Orchestrator and explains how Orchestrator integrates with Operations Manager and Service Manager.
- Overview of System Center Orchestrator 2012
- Integrating Orchestrator with Operations Manager and Service Manager
Lab : Automating Incident Creation, Remediation, and Change Requests
- Configuring the Incident Template
- Configuring Incidents That Affect the StockTrader Service
- Automating Incident Remediation and Change Requests
Problem Management in the Private Cloud
This module provides an overview of problem management and explains how students can use it within a service management framework. Additionally, this module explains its implementation as a manual feature of Service Manager. Finally, this module describes how to create a custom event monitor in Operations Manager and then use it to identify and route incidents and problems to Service Manager.
- Overview of Problem Management
- Creating Custom Rules
Lab : Automating Problem Management in the Private Cloud
- Manually Creating a Problem Record
- Creating a Custom Event Rule in Operations Manager
- Configuring Automated Problem Record Creation
Automating Self-Service Provisioning
This module explains about automating self-service provisioning by using the System Center Cloud Service Process Pack, including the configuration items that are created and the request items that are contained in the System Center Cloud Service Process Pack.
- Installing and Configuring the System Center Cloud Services Process Pack
- Cloud Services Configuration Items
- Cloud Services Request Items
Lab : Automating Self-Service Provisioning
- Completing the Prerequisites for the System Center Cloud Services Process Pack
- Installing the System Center Cloud Services Process Pack
- Configuring the System Center Cloud Services Process Pack
- Deploying a Virtual Machine for StockTrader by using the Cloud Services Process Pack
Private Cloud Protection and Recovery
This module explains how to protect the resources in the private cloud by using Data Protection Manager. It also explains how to implement a recovery action by using Orchestrator to recover a database.
- Protecting Data in the Private Cloud
- Recovering Data in the Private Cloud
Lab : Private Cloud Protection and Recovery
- Configuring Manual Protection and Recovery of Key Service Data
- Configuring Automatic Protection and Recovery of Key Service Data
- Monitoring Protection Status
Configuring Compliance in the Private Cloud
This module explains how to implement IT Governance, Risk Management, and Compliance (GRC) in a private cloud environment by using System Center 2012. It also explains how to implement Software Update Compliance in Virtual Machine Manager to verify whether key private cloud infrastructure is correctly updated with the latest software updates. The module also describes how to implement the IT GRC Management Pack in Service Manager to check for compliance across key Service Components and remediate non-compliant items.
- Overview of the Process Pack for IT GRC
- Installing and Configuring the Process Pack for IT GRC
- Implementing an IT GRC Control Management Program
- Maintaining Compliance through VMM Security Baselines and System Center Advisor
Lab : Configuring Compliance in the Private Cloud
- Creating an IT GRC Control Management Program
- Adding Test Results to a Manual Control Activity and View Compliance Reports
- Assigning a Baseline
Configuring SLAs, Dashboards, and Widgets
This module describes the various methods for surfacing service and performance-related data from Operations Manager and Service Manager to SharePoint and Microsoft Excel.
- Service Level Tracking
- Configuring and Deploying Widgets and Dashboards
- Publishing Real-Time State with Microsoft Visio Snap-in
- System Center Analytics
- Using Excel and SSRS to View Data
- Overview of PerformancePoint
Lab : Configuring SLAs, Dashboards, and Widgets
- Configuring Service Level Tracking
- Configuring Service Level Management
- Configuring Microsoft Excel Analytics
- Configuring PerformancePoint Analytics