Microsoft Course 6464 - Visual Studio 2008: ADO.NET 3.5 — A 2-Day Course
Please note that this course is no longer available. Please review our related courses:
Please note that this course has been retired and is no longer available. Please see the RETIRED page for courses currently available in this subject area.
This two-day instructor-led M6464 course provides students with the knowledge and skills to access and modify data by using ADO.NET 3.5.
On completion of this M646 training course, delegates should be able to:
- Describe the purpose and structure of ADO.NET 3.5
- Explain the role of data providers in ADO.NET 3.5
- List the technologies and techniques available for managing data with ADO.NET 3.5
- Insert, update, and delete data by using ADO.NET Command objects
- Implement transactions to control data integrity and concurrency
- Define and use a DataSet for retrieving data
- Use a DataSet to update a database
- Use a DataSet as a local cache in an occasionally connected environment
- Define LINQ queries for selecting data from an in-memory data structure
- Use LINQ to SQL to query data in a database
- Use LINQ to SQL to modify data and save changes to the database
- Explain how to use the ADO.NET Entity Framework to map a database schema to a logical business model
- Use the ADO.NET Entity Framework to query and manage data
- Explain how Synchronization Services supports occasionally-connected solutions
- Use Synchronization Services to download data from a SQL Server database
- Use Synchronization Services to upload data to a SQL Server database
This course is intended for application developers who know how to create applications in Visual Studio 2005 or 2008.
Before attending this course, students should have intermediate experience developing applications by using previous versions of Microsoft Visual Studio at level 200.
This course has been retired and is no longer available.
Outline Course Contents
Module 1: Getting Started with ADO .NET 3.5
This module explains how to connect to a database and retrieve data by using ADO.NET commands.
Module 2: Modifying Data by Using ADO.NET Commands
This module explains how to modify data by using ADO.NET commands.
Module 3: Querying and Maintaining Data by Using DataSets
This module explains how to use DataSets to fetch and modify data, and act as a local data cache.
Module 4: Querying and Maintaining Data by Using LINQ
This module explains how to use LINQ to retrieve and update data.
Module 5: Implementing an Entity Model by Using the ADO.NET Entity Framework
This module explains how to use the Entity Framework to implement an entity data model for querying and maintaining data.
Module 6: Building Occasionally Connected Solutions by Using Synchronization Services
This module explains how to use Synchronization Services to build occasionally connected solutions.