Microsoft Course 20688 - Supporting Windows 8.1 — A 5 day course
This five day course will provide you with the knowledge and skills required to support a Windows 8.1 deployment in medium and large enterprise environments and to resolve technical issues by developing a troubleshooting methodology for Windows 8.1
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the processes involved in planning and using a troubleshooting methodology for Windows 8.1
- Troubleshoot startup issues and operating system services on a Windows 8.1 system
- Resolve issues related to hardware devices and device drivers
- Troubleshoot computers remotely
- Troubleshoot issues related to network connectivity
- Troubleshoot client configuration failures and GPO application issues
- Troubleshoot issues related to user settings
- Troubleshoot remote connectivity issues
- Resolve issues related to accessing resources from computers that are domain-joined
- Resolve issues related to accessing resources from computers that are not domain-joined
- Troubleshoot issues related to application installation and operation.
- Maintain Windows 8.1 following deployment
- Design and implement extranet connectivity for Windows 8
- Recover a computer running Windows 8.1
This course is primarily intended for the Enterprise Device Support Technician (EDST), who provide Tier 2 support to users running Windows desktops and devices in medium to large enterprise organizations, within a Windows domain environment. EDSTs are experienced IT Professionals who focus on a broad range of technical issues for Windows operating systems, devices, cloud services, applications, networking, and hardware support. Key responsibilities include resolving technical issues pertaining to Windows installation and migration, activation, performance, profiles, settings and device synchronization, local and remote network access, access to applications, access to data and printers, authentication, endpoint security and policy, operating system and data recovery.
EDSTs must combine technical expertise with problem solving and decision making skills and a deep understanding of their business and technical environments to quickly resolve support issues. They consider all variables, justify resolutions with a logical troubleshooting approach, and relate tradeoffs while adhering to business and technical requirements and constraints. EDSTs are primarily responsible for the maintenance and support of desktops and devices, installing and testing line-of-business applications on these devices, and physically making changes to user devices or re-images as required.
The secondary audience for this course can include students preparing to take exam 70-688.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Networking fundamentals, including Transmission Control Protocol /Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), User Datagram Protocol (UDP), and Domain Name System (DNS)
- Microsoft Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) principles and fundamentals of AD DS management
- Understanding of the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) components and working knowledge of the fundamentals of Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012 fundamentals
- Microsoft Windows Client fundamentals; for example, working knowledge of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and/or Windows 8
- Fundamentals of management and experience using the Microsoft Office 2013 system or the Microsoft Office 2010 system
- Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) components including Windows PE, Windows SIM, VAMT, ImageX, USMT, and DISM concepts and fundamentals
This course is designed to prepare certification candidates for Exam 70-688, MCSA: Supporting Windows 8.1
The exam is arranged separately from the course and the exam fee is not included in the price of the course.
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
London — £1545 (+VAT)
Introduction to Troubleshooting Windows 8.1
This module provides an introduction to the Windows 8.1 system architecture and explains how to identify the common troubleshooting scenarios. The module also provides an overview of a typical troubleshooting process.
- Common Windows 8.1 Troubleshooting Scenarios
- Overview of Windows 8.1 Architecture
- Overview of Troubleshooting Steps
Lab : Troubleshooting Windows 8.1
- Developing a Plan of Action
Troubleshooting Computer Startup
This module provides an overview of the Windows 8.1 startup recovery environment and explains how to troubleshoot startup settings and issues. The module also describes how to recover BitLocker-operated drives.
- Overview of the Windows 8.1 Startup Recovery Environment
- Optimizing and Troubleshooting Startup Settings
- Troubleshooting Operating System Services Issues
- Recovering BitLocker-Protected Drives
Lab : Troubleshoot a Startup Failure
- Resolving a startup problem (1)
- Resolving a Startup Problem (2)
Lab : Troubleshoot a Startup Failure
- Recovering a BitLocker Encrypted Drive
- Creating New BitLocker Keys
Troubleshooting Hardware and Device Drivers
This module explains how to troubleshoot hardware issues, physical failures, and device driver failures. It also describes how to monitor reliability and configure the registry.
- Overview of Hardware Troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting Physical Failures
- Troubleshooting Device Driver Failures
- Monitoring Reliability
- Configuring the Registry
Lab : Resolving Hardware Device and Device Driver Issues
- Resolving Hardware Issues
- Configuring Group Policy to Control Device Installation
This module describes how to perform remote troubleshooting by using Windows 8.1 features such as Remote Desktop, Remote Assistance, and Windows PowerShell remoting.
- Using Remote Desktop
- Using Remote Assistance
- Remoting with Windows PowerShell
Lab : Troubleshooting a Remote Computer
- Using Remote Desktop
- Using Remote Assistance
- Using Windows PowerShell Remoting
Troubleshooting Network Connectivity Issues
This module explains how to identify network settings and troubleshoot network connectivity issues in wired and wireless networks, IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity, and name resolution.
- Determining Network Settings
- Troubleshooting Network Connectivity Issues
Lab : Troubleshooting Network Connections
- Troubleshooting a Network Problem (1)
- Troubleshooting a Network Problem (2)
- Troubleshooting a Wireless Network
Troubleshooting Group Policy
This module provides an overview of the Group Policy application and describes how to resolve issues in client configuration GPO application.
- Overview of Group Policy Application
- Resolving Client Configuration Failures and GPO Application Issues
Lab : Troubleshooting the Application of GPOs
- Resolving Group Policy Application (1)
- Resolving Group Policy Object Application (2)
Troubleshooting User Settings
This module describes how to troubleshoot sign-in issues, user profiles, folder redirection, and USMT.
- Troubleshooting Sign In Issues
- Troubleshooting User Profiles
- Troubleshooting Folder Redirection
- Troubleshooting USMT
Lab : Resolving Sign In Problems
- Resolving Sign In Problem (1)
- Resolving Sign In Problem (2)
Lab : Resolving Folder Redirection Problems
- Resolving Folder Redirection Problem (1)
Troubleshooting Remote Connectivity
This module describes how to troubleshoot issues in VPN connectivity, NAP, and DirectAccess.
- Troubleshooting VPN Connectivity Issues
- Troubleshooting NAP Issues
- Troubleshooting DirectAccess Issues
Lab : Troubleshooting DHCP NAP Enforcement
- Troubleshooting NAP
Lab : Troubleshooting DirectAccess
- Configuring DirectAccess
- Troubleshooting DirectAccess Client-Side Settings
Troubleshooting Resource Access within a Domain
This module explains how to troubleshoot issues in file access and permissions. It also describes how to resolve printer access issues.
- Troubleshooting File Access Issues
- Troubleshooting File Permissions Issues
- Troubleshooting Printer Access Issues
Lab : Troubleshooting Resource Access
- Resolving a File Permissions Issue
Configuring and Troubleshooting Resource Access for Non-Domain Joined Clients
This module describes how to configure and troubleshoot Workplace Join, Work Folders, and SkyDrive Access.
- Configuring and Troubleshooting Workplace Join
- Configuring and Troubleshooting Work Folders
- Configuring and Troubleshooting SkyDrive Access
Lab : Configuring and Troubleshooting Workplace Join
- Configuring Workplace Join
Lab : Configuring Work Folders
- Configuring Work Folders
This module explains how to troubleshoot application installation issues and problems in desktop and Windows store apps. The module also describes how to resolve issues in Internet Explorer and Client Hyper-V.
- Troubleshooting Application Installation Issues
- Troubleshooting Desktop Apps
- Troubleshooting Windows Store Apps
- Troubleshooting Internet Explorer
- Troubleshooting Client Hyper-V
Lab : Troubleshooting Desktop Apps
- Troubleshooting AppLocker Policy Application
- Troubleshooting Application Startup
Lab : Troubleshooting Internet Explorer Issues
- Resolving an Internet Explorer Issue
Maintaining Windows 8.1
This module describe how to troubleshoot activation issues and configure performance options in Windows 8.1. It also explains how to protect a Windows 8.1 system from malware and viruses and how to apply application and Windows updates.
- Troubleshoot Windows Activation Issues
- Monitoring and Configuring Performance Options in Windows 8.1
- Protecting Windows 8.1 from Malware and Viruses
- Applying Application and Windows Updates
Lab : Identifying Performance Problems
- Troubleshooting a Performance Problem
Recovering Windows 8.1
This modules explains how to restore files and recover a Windows 8.1 system.
- Restoring Files in Windows 8.1
- Recovery Options in Windows 8.1
Lab : Recovering Files
- Recovering Files on Windows 8.1
Lab : Recovering a Windows 8.1 Computer (2)
- Recovering a Windows 8.1 Computer