Microsoft Course 6423 - Implementing and Managing Windows Server 2008 Clustering — A 3-Day Course
Please note that this course has been retired and is no longer available. Please see the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 page for courses currently available in this subject area.
This three-day instructor-led M6423 course introduces Windows Server 2008 clustering and provides students with the knowledge and skills to implement, maintain, and troubleshoot clusters.
After completing this M6423 training course, students will be able to implement, maintain, and troubleshoot clusters in their enterprise environment.
This course is intended for IT professional technical specialists responsible for implementing and maintaining high availability solutions utilizing clustering technologies.
- Experience with network load balancing
- Basic knowledge of clustering theory
- Experience in an enterprise environment managing applications and network topologies
- Basic troubleshooting skills
This course has been retired and is no longer available.
Outline Course Contents
Introduction to Clusters
This module provides an overview of cluster concepts and functionality.
- Overview of Clusters
- Benefits of Using Clusters
- Overview of the Windows Server 2008 High Availability Solutions
Lab : Identifying Windows Server 2008 High Availability Solutions
- Exercise 1: Identifying solutions for Web servers
- Exercise 2: Identifying solutions for database servers
- Exercise 3: Identifying complex solutions
Introduction to Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Failover Clusters
This module describes key features and functionality of the Windows Server 2008 failover clusters.
- Overview of Windows Server 2008 Failover Clusters
- Key Windows Server 2008 Failover Cluster Features
- Overview of the Windows Server 2008 Quorum Models
Lab : Identifying Windows Server 2008 Clustering Solutions
- Exercise 1: Identifying clustered scenarios
Preparing to Install a Failover Cluster
This module explains the prerequisite requirements and planning required to install a Windows failover cluster.
- Overview of Requirements for Installing a Failover Cluster
- Planning the Failover Cluster Implementation
- Installing the Failover Cluster Feature and Validating the Cluster Configuration
- Installing the Failover Cluster on Windows Server 2008 Server Core
Lab: Preparing for a Cluster Installation
- Exercise 1: Installing the failover cluster feature
- Exercise 2: Validating the failover cluster
Overview of Failover Cluster Storage Requirements
This module explains storage fundamentals and how to plan and implement storage solutions for failover clusters.
- Overview of Storage Technologies
- Introduction to Storage Area Networks
- Planning a Storage Solution for Failover Clusters
- Configuring an iSCSI Storage Connection
Lab : Identifying SAN Components
- Exercise 1: Identifying fibre channel SAN components
- Exercise 2: Identifying iSCSI SAN components
- Exercise 3: Configuring iSCSI storage connections
Module 5: Configuring a Failover Cluster
This module explains how to install and manage a failover cluster.
- Creating a New Failover Cluster
- Managing a Failover Cluster
- Verifying Failover Functionality
Lab: Creating and Administering a Cluster
- Exercise 1: Creating a cluster
- Exercise 2: Managing a failover cluster
Configuring Cluster Resources and Server Roles
This module explains how to configure cluster resources and how to cluster common Window Server roles and applications.
- Configuring Cluster Resources
- Implementing Failover Clusters for Server Roles Using Failover Cluster Management
- Clustering Server Roles Using Windows Server Core
Lab: Clustering Server Roles and Features
- Exercise 1: Configuring cluster resources
- Exercise 2: Clustering the print server role using failover cluster management
- Exercise 3: Clustering the file server role on Windows Server core
- Exercise 4: Testing cluster availability
Maintaining Microsoft Failover Clusters
This module explains how to maintain and troubleshoot failover clusters.
- Monitoring Failover Clusters
- Backing Up and Restoring Failover Clusters
- Troubleshooting Failover Clusters
Lab: Maintaining Failover Clusters
- Exercise 1: Monitoring failover clusters
- Exercise 2: Backing up a failover cluster
- Exercise 3: Restoring a failover cluster
Implementing Geographically Dispersed Clusters
This module explains geographically dispersed clusters and the challenges that they present. In addition, this module describes how to implement a multi-subnet cluster using Windows Server 2008.
- Overview of Geographically Dispersed Clusters
- Implementing Geographically Dispersed Clusters Using Windows Server 2008
Implementing Network Load Balanced Clusters
This module explores how to use PowerShell to manage the Hyper-V server. This module also explores how to backup virtual machines in Hyper-V.
- Overview of Network Load Balancing
- Configuring a Network Load Balanced Cluster
- Maintaining a Network Load Balanced Cluster
Lab: Implementing an NLB cluster
- Exercise 1: Preparing the NLB cluster nodes
- Exercise 2: Configuring an NLB cluster