Managing Successful Programmes (MSP®) Conversion — A 2 day course
This two-day course provides participants with a thorough understanding of the Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) Practitioner level examination, allowing participants to attempt the practitioner examination thoroughly prepared. The course includes the MSP practitioner examination.
This course will enable delegates to understand the examination requirements of the MSP practitioner examination, analyse the questions in the examination and the scenario given to gain the most information from it. They will understand how to best manage their time within the examination and understand the principles and structure of MSP.
Delivered by fully accredited trainers and industry leading experts with extensive experience of using MSP, the course includes examples of the practitioner exam and walk through exercises of how to analyse and attempt the questions in them.
On completion of this Managing Successful Programmes Practitioner training, delegates will be able to:
- Know facts, terms and concepts relating to each theme
- Understand how each governance theme relates to the Principles
- Understand the approach to the treatment of each governance theme
- Appreciate how each governance theme is applied throughout the Transformational Flow
- Understand the responsibilities involved in each governance theme
- Apply and tailor the relevant aspects of each governance theme to a scenario, when creating or reviewing products or making decisions related to each theme, in any or all of the processes
- Identify, analyse and distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate application of each governance theme throughout a programme scenario
MSP philosophy and structure
- What is a programme and how it differs to both business as usual and project work
- Relationship between the MSP principles, governance themes and the transformational flow
The 7 MSP principles
- Remaining aligned with corporate strategy
- Leading change
- Envisioning and communicating a better future
- Focusing on benefits and threats to them
- Adding value
- Designing and delivering a coherent capability
- Learning from experience
The 9 MSP governance themes
- Leadership and stakeholder engagement
- Benefits management
- Blueprint design and delivery
- Planning and control
- Business case
- Risk and issue management
- Quality and assurance management
The 6 MSP Transformational Flow Processes
- Identifying a programme
- Defining a programme
- Managing the tranche
- Delivering the capability
- Realising the benefits
- Closing a programme
Practitioner Preparation and Application of MSP
In preparation for the MSP Practitioner exam, delegates will undertake:
- An explanation of mechanics of the Practitioner examination, including the different styles of question within the 'Objective Test Examination' format
- Examination techniques
- Mock Practitioner questions on the application of MSP, using official sample exam papers
- Question and answer session
- Revision of major topics
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
Birmingham — £795 (+VAT)
Bristol — £795 (+VAT)
Edinburgh — £795 (+VAT)
Glasgow — £795 (+VAT)
Leeds — £795 (+VAT)
Liverpool — £795 (+VAT)
London — £795 (+VAT)
Manchester — £795 (+VAT)
Newcastle — £795 (+VAT)
Nottingham — £795 (+VAT)
Reading — £795 (+VAT)
Managers involved in Business Change
Programme/Project Support staff and Project Managers who will undertake roles in Programmes
It can be particularly useful as an advanced Project Management course for senior and very experienced Project Managers and those seeking a professional qualification in Programme Management
Delegates must have passed the MSP foundation examination.
Delegates should ideally have experience of managing or working in programmes prior to attending. Knowledge of the PRINCE2® project management method is advantageous but by no means mandatory, but some exposure to a project management method will aid understanding of how the programme works with these projects.
Delegates will be provided with pre-course reading material by email two weeks prior to attending the course. This pre-reading provides a mixture of theory, sample questions and application of MSP to a programme situation. Success on the course will be enhanced by close attention to the pre-reading materials so it is recommended that delegates spend approximately 10 hours working through the pre-reading.
All delegates booking this course will need to purchase a copy of the new 2011 MSP Manual.
Additional work will be required during evenings consisting of consolidation reading, mock examination questions and exercises. This evening work is an integral part of the course and delegates should expect to spend 2 hours each evening on these activities.
The MSP Practitioner examination takes place at the end of the course, usually on the morning of the last day. The MSP Practitioner exam consists of:
- 8 questions each worth 10 marks each - total of 80 marks
- 'Objective Test Examination' format - a style of complex multiple-choice examination
- 2 and a half hours duration
- Delegates may use their official MSP manual: 'Managing Successful Programmes' only
- Candidates require a minimum of 40 marks (50%) to pass
Please note that candidates must pass the Foundation exam before attempting the Practitioner exam.
By successfully passing the Practitioner exam, delegates attain 'Registered Practitioner' status.