Concise Minute Taking — A 1 day course
Do you find your working life is a succession of meetings?
Do you need to make sure you've got an accurate record of your meetings, including effectively capturing actions?
Would you like to remove your fear of taking minutes?
From AGM to weekly staff gatherings, working life is a succession of meetings. For most of them minutes or meeting notes must be taken. The minute-taker is expected to provide an accurate record, with no training or guidelines. This can result in minutes that are too sketchy or too detailed; failure to follow up decisions; a lack of evidence for later proceedings; and a waste of many people's time.
This course takes minutes-takers through every stage of the process, clarifying objectives and standards and removing the fear for many people when confronted with the task. It equips them with ideas for successful preparation, listening, analysis and note-making and introduces them to the principles of clear, effective writing.
This event is highly participative and provides an opportunity for every delegate to take notes in an agreed format.
Delegates will learn how to:
- List what you need to do to prepare for meetings prior to, during and after the event
- State the role and responsibilities of a chairperson
- Demonstrate setting a well structured agenda
- State common obstacles to effective listening and demonstrate your own listening skills
- Identify a method of note-taking that suits your preferred style
- Select the important and relevant points from a discussion
- State agreed accepted conventions for the format of minutes
- Produce an accurate set of minutes, clearly and concisely
Establish personal objectives for the course
The meeting - what you should do before, during and after
The role and responsibilities of a chairperson
Styles of agenda
Setting the agenda
Barriers to listening
Listening and summarising a conversation
Using subject and viewpoint
Methods and style for taking notes
Simplifying expressions & editing redundant expressions
Styles of minutes
Sections of minutes
Recording decisions and actions
Completion of a personal action plan
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
Leeds — £395 (+VAT)
London — £395 (+VAT)
Anyone who is expected to take accurate and professionally produced notes or minutes would benefit from attending this course.
Please bring examples of previously taken notes and minutes (removing or blacking out areas of confidentiality) so that we can use these during the course.