Introduction to XML Document Processing with Python — A 2 day course
The course provides a thorough introduction to XML and use of the SAX and DOM APIs for XML Document processing.
In addition the course will cover:
- Converting CSV files into XML documents, and vice versa
- Converting results of database queries into XML documents
- Saving XML documents into relational database tables
- Saving the results of logfile analysis as XML documents
Attendees are expected to be experienced Python programmers and to have some familiarity with Regular Expressions, and with Python database programming.
No knowledge of XML is assumed, however familiarity with simple web application development and HTML is useful.
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
A schedule of dates for this subject is not currently available. Please call 0333 210 0140 or use our contact form to enquire about places and availability.
Courses in this subject are scheduled on an 'ad-hoc' basis. We can arrange a course at our Carshalton centre or on customer site for any client wishing to send two or more delegates on the same course.
For courses at the Carshalton Centre the fee will be:
- £1400 + VAT for the first two delegates
- £660 + VAT for the third delegate
- £480 + VAT for the fourth delegate
- £160 + VAT for each additional delegate to a maximum of eight
On-site course fees are as above + expenses recharged at cost.
For a 1:1 course in Carshalton the fee is £1100 + VAT. For a 1:1 on-site course the fee is £1100 + VAT + expenses recharged at cost.
If there are any dates showing below this line, a course has been scheduled and places for individuals are available at £700. Otherwise, no courses are currently scheduled and the above fees apply.
Foundations of XML
- Rationale underlying XML
- Core markup concepts
- Document Prolog
Using XML to Model Information
- Simple data storage
- Narrative documents
- Complex data
- Using XML to describe documents and media
Document Type Definition (DTD)
Using Python to generate XML Documents
Parsing documents using SAX (Simple API for XML)
- How SAX works
- Overview of the xml.sax module
- Creating handlers derived from the ContentHandler class
- Principles of SAX document parsing in Python
- Using SAX to extract information from documents
- Searching an XML document files
- Creating index tables as XML documents
- Using SAX to convert XML documents to HTML
DOM - Document Object Model
- Overview of the DOM specfication
- DOM level 2 and DOM level 3
- Overview of the xml.dom package
- Working with xml.dom's minidom lightweight DOM implementation
- Overview of 4Suite's 4DOM full DOM implementation
- Determining the type of a node
- Retrieving the children of a node
- Retrieving the siblings of a node
- Extracting elements by name
- Adding, moving and deleting nodes - to restructure XML documents
- Case study implementing a web and XML based document server