Advanced Test Automation — A 2 day course
Common sense recognizes the potential of automating test execution and the benefits that can be achieved, but typically less than 10% of test organisations have achieved significant benefit from investment in their automation tools. Automation can save cost and time and protect the stability of live systems, but only if correctly applied. This course provides practical and pragmatic solutions that can be readily applied.
Surveys show that up to 40% of all testing automation tools become shelf ware quickly, especially where knowledge is lost when personnel changes occur. The challenge and frequent failing of automation lies in creating a test suite that is capable of surviving the rigours of a testing project and yet can be updated and maintained effectively.
The execution of regression testing is the most common use of test execution tools and offers one of the best opportunities to increase the efficiency and coverage of testing, making the most difference to the business.
This course is aimed at those using, or planning to use, varieties of test execution tools and who wish to ensure that they have hands on knowledge of how to produce automation suites that really work in the real world. It covers the general techniques of automation, highlights the major considerations for the planning and preparation of automation and using hands-on exercises with automated tools looks at various approaches to automation.
The course is delivered by an experienced practitioner who will have designed and implemented numerous successful automation projects and will share their knowledge of how they achieved success.
On completion of this course, attendees will:
- Understand test automation concepts and be able to choose the best tests for automation
- Be able to identify when to use tools to automate and how best to apply them
- Be familiar with commercially available test execution tools
- Understand what is required to plan and implement a successful automation project
- Be aware of the most common reasons why automation fails and how to reduce these risks
This course is of a technical nature and is intended for experienced automation engineers.
Attendees need a knowledge of Test Automation and should also consider the Fundamentals of Test Automation course prior to this.
Previous experience with automation tools, like HP QuickTest Professional, Compuware TestPartner, etc. and the ability to write VBScript code will be useful.
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
A schedule of dates for this subject is not currently available. Please call 0333 210 0140 or use our contact form to enquire about places and availability.
Introduction and Basics
- Brief introduction to XML for the tester
- Brief understanding of COM and Windows API
- Automating through Microsoft Excel
- Introduction to Service Orientated Architecture testing
- Designing and implementing automation frameworks
- Testing database systems
- Data conversion
- Database structure
- Database stored procedures, functions, security, etc.
Managing an automation project
- Addressing Early Prime Test Automation Solutions Aspects
- Choosing Strategic Test Automation Techniques
Development Driven Solution
Business Driven Solution
- Delivering Successfully Test Automation Solutions
- Project Methodology
- Measuring Success