Practical Test Analyst — A 2 day course
This course is aimed at individuals who are involved in the day-to-day activities of identifying and writing tests as well as managers who need a deeper understanding of how their teams can be more effective.
Deciding what needs to be tested and creating suitable tests is not an easy process. This course walks through a simple process from deciding what to test through identifying and creating suitable tests to writing the test steps. It looks at a number of different approaches for each stage and discusses their strengths and weaknesses.
The course builds on the principles laid out in the ISEB Foundation Certificate in Software Testing and aims to give practical experience in analysing, designing and implementing tests. Through discussion and hands-on exercises it looks at the process of identifying and creating functional test cases for each phase in the software testing life cycle.
With the emphasis on putting theory into practice, this course is highly practical and attendees will produce real test documentation over the two day period.
On completion of this course attendees will be able to:
- Recall the basic concepts of software testing
- Explain the Fundamental Test Process and their role within it
- Explain the benefits of identifying risks and reviewing documents as early as possible
- Explain how to create test conditions, test cases and test procedures
- Identify which test techniques to use at each test level
- Understand and explain test execution, execution issues and test summary reports
Any test analyst, test team leader or test manager who wishes to advance their knowledge of testing or prepare for the ISTQB Advanced Level examinations.
There are no pre-requisites for this course. However it is strongly recommended that attendees have passed the ISEB / ISTQB Foundation Certificate in Software Testing certification exam.
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
A schedule of dates for this subject is not currently available. Please call 0333 210 0140 or use our contact form to enquire about places and availability.
- Brief review of basic testing concepts
- What is testing?
- The Fundamental Test Process and what a Test Manager and Test Analysts should be doing
- The world of Analysis, Design and Implementation
Risks and Reviews
- Risk Identification, Analysis and Mitigation
- Review types and their benefits and limitations
Analysis, Design and Implementation
- Different approaches to identifying test conditions from the test basis
- The Approach Wheel
- How to creat test cases from the Test Basis
- How to create test procedures from the Test Basis and the amount of detail required
Test Design Techniques through the Life cycle: UAT
- Use Cases
Test Design Techniques through the Life cycle: System Testing
- State Transition Testing
- Decision Tables
- Classification Trees
Test Design Techniques through the Life cycle: Component Integration Testing
- Structural techniques for Component Integration Testing
- Using stubs, drivers and incremental strategies
Test Design Techniques through the Life cycle: Component Testing
- Equivalence Partitioning
- Boundary Value Analysis
- Other White Box techniques
Execution & Results
- Executing your tests and reporting on your testing results