Adobe Illustrator Introduction — A 2 day course
This is an introductory course for designers and budding Developers new to the Illustrator environment, or those that have not had formal training.
You will produce an exciting graphic project using both the classic features and the new and improved tools in Illustrator and will leave this class with the ability to create and incorporate vector graphics for different projects.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Draw and understand Bezier curves, the root of drawing in Illustrator
- Create a logo using simple shapes
- Accurately place and measure objects in the Illustration window
- Trace and Colour your hand drawn artwork with Live Trace, Live Paint and Live Colour
- Save illustrations for both print and web purposes
The Adobe Illustrator environment
- Creating new documents for print or web
- Managing a custom workspace
- Navigation and scroll shortcuts
- 'Outline' and 'preview' modes
- Using grids and guidelines
- Using 'smart guides'
Working with colour
- Using the 'swatches' and 'colour' windows
- Understanding 'stroke' and 'fill' attributes
- Using the 'stroke' window
- Gradients and patterns
Drawing in Illustrator
- Using the shape tools
- Drawing with the line tools
- Drawing with the pen tools
- Pen tool shortcuts
- Editing a drawn path
- Understanding Bézier curves
- Transforming tools
- The 'warp tool' flyout
- Symbols in Illustrator
- Creating a logo
- Drawing a tin can
- Drawing a spoked wheel
Images in Illustrator
- Importing images
- Turning bitmap data into vector
- The align and distribute commands
- Using the 'group' and 'duplicate' commands
- Hiding and locking layer objects
- Using 'isolation mode'
- Compund paths
- Clipping masks
Text in Illustrator
- Adding 'point' type
- Adding 'area' type
- Adding type to a vector path
- Spell check
- Find and replace text
- Creating type outlines
Outputting from Illustrator
- Saving Illustrator artwork
- Defining a crop area
- Exporting art in non-vector formats
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
A schedule of dates for this subject is not currently available. Please call 0333 210 0140 or use our contact form to enquire about places and availability.
This course is intended for graphic designers, or people transitioning into a design job or taking on design responsibilities, who need to use Adobe Illustrator to create illustrations, logos, advertisements or other graphic documents. They may have little or no experience with Illustrator, although they may already use Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop.
We will assume little or no prior knowledge of Acrobat in this course but you should have a basic working knowledge of either the Windows or Mac interface as well as exposure to either Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint.