Adobe InDesign: Creating ePubs — A 1-day course
Please note that this course is no longer available. Please review the following related courses:
'Creating ePubs with InDesign' is a 1 day training course for those who are familiar with the basics of using InDesign and wanting to publish their InDesign publications electronically.
The course starts out with an introduction to ePub documents, and then shows you how to plan your documents for ePub managing things like Tables of Contents, metadata, paragraph and character styles and more. You will also look closely at the export process and how to convert your exported ePub to other eBook formats.
This course is well suited to existing InDesign users that are looking to start publishing their documents online and want to learn best practice techniques and how to take advantage of the latest InDesign features which are targeted towards electronic publishing. Whilst this is a design course you will be required to review HTML / CSS code as part of the course in order to create a better end product.
Please note this course is focused on the production of ePub content and does not cover areas such as producing dynamic interactive magazines using Flash and other technologies. If this is an area of interest you should look at the Creating Rich Digital Publications with InDesign CS5.5 course.
- You should have attended the InDesign CS5 Getting Started course or have equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of HTML and or CSS is beneficial but not a requirement for attending the course.
This course has been retired and is no longer available.
- ePub vs PDF
- Supported devices
- What is kept and what is lost in ePub?
Overview of InDesign Long Documents
- Book panel
- Adding documents
- Setting up chapter numbering
- Cross references
- Creating a table of contents
- Creating an index
- Synchronising books
- Export to ePub
Adobe Digital Editions Reader
- Evaluating an ePub in Digital Editions
Modifying documents for ePub Export
- Configure continuous text frames
- Apply paragraph and character styles
- Replace nested character styles
- Search and replace
- Replace automated TOC with cross-reference TOC
- Manage footnotes
- Attach metadata
- Creating links
- Borders and backgrounds
Video and your eBook
- Creating your video
- Adding video to your eBook
Managing Images for ePub Export
- Anchoring images using cut and paste
- Anchoring images using anchored object panel
- Compatible image formats
- Evaluate colour spaces and resolution
- Create a cover
The Export Process
- Embed metadata
- Manage CSS styles
- Manage bullet and numbered lists
- Embed fonts
What is the ePub Format?
- Converting ePub to other eBook formats
- Applications used to create eBooks
- Applications used to read eBooks
- Applcations used to convert eBooks to other eBook formats
- Other eBook formats