AIX Shell Programming — A 2 day course
This course is designed to give delegates practical experience in developing and writing AIX shell scripts. Most of the built-in shell commands are introduced together with the main program control structures. This course is not suitable for C shell programmers. The delegates will practise: -
- Writing simple scripts to enhance basic command output
- Using the various shell quoting mechanisms appropriately
- Manipulating shell variables and user-defined variables in scripts
- Implementing conditional execution facilities
- Using the shell's built-in loop constructs where appropriate
- Writing scripts to trap user interrupts
- Developing menu-driven shell scripts
To provide the skills needed to develop and customise shell programs.
AIX Command Review
- Basic Unix commands
- General commands
- File and directory handling commands
- Filename generation characters
- I/O Redirection features
- Other commands
- What is a shell script?
- Development guidelines
- Creating and editing shell scripts
- Naming and storing shell scripts
- Executing shell scripts
- Exercise: Write a simple shell script
- Environment variables
- Local variables
- Assigning values to variables
- Assessing variable values
- Using quotes
- Delimiting variable names
- Echo control sequences
- Exercise: Add variables to a script
- Using the expr command
- Using the (( )) notation
- Exercise: Add integer arithmetic to a shell script
Handling Run Time Data
- The read command
- Command line arguments
- Exercise: Writing a generic shell script
- Exercise: Writing an interactive shell script
- The if statement
- The test command
- Other test notations
- Default and substitute variables
- Exit status codes
- Exercise: Adding validation to previous scripts
- The while loop
- The until loop
- The for loop
- The while true and until false loops
- Loop control commands
- Exercise: Enhancing the previously written scripts
- Exercise: Writing a guess-the-number game
- The case statement
- Menu driven applications
- Exercise: Developing and writing a menu system
- What is a function?
- Exercise: Add a function to a script
- Interrupt signals
- Trapping interrupts
- Exercise: Adding traps to the menu script
Additional Features and Facilities
- The exec commands
- The includes notation
- More about loops
- Here Documents
- Exercise: Create a here script
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
Birmingham — £820 (+VAT)
Bristol — £820 (+VAT)
Edinburgh — £820 (+VAT)
Leeds — £820 (+VAT)
London — £820 (+VAT)
Manchester — £820 (+VAT)
Sunderland — £820 (+VAT)
Programmers, administrators and support personnel who need to understand existing shell scripts, automate procedures and write their own utilities.
The course assumes knowledge of the AIX Operating System to the level covered in the AIX Basics Course
Some programming experience may also prove advantageous
The AIX System Administration - Part I course in conjunction with either the AIX System Administration - Part II course or the AIX Jumpstart for UNIX/Linux Professionals course covers topics for the IBM Certified Operator - AIX 6.1 Basic Operations exam.
This certification is for people with at least 6 months of experience in a variety of tasks, and can involve the System Administrator when appropriate. The Operator is not expected to manage LUNs or hdisks, install AIX, configure the system, or diagnose and solve system problems.
Following attendance on the relevant courses, delegates will need to dedicate time for self study and researching the topics covered on the course. They will also need to gain hands-on experience so they can put into practice what they have learnt on the courses.
Attending courses alone will not guarantee exam success, previous experience, practice, self study and aptitude are also key requirements. Before taking any exam, delegates should ensure they have the recommended experience by checking the vendor website for current exam requirements and pre-assessment questionnaires.
Exams are not included as part of the course nor in the course fee.
Book your exam with Prometric Testing Services.