BCS Specialist Certificate in Business Relationship Management — A 3 day course
This course provides candidates with an understanding of the principles of, and practical experience of using, industry best practice involved in operating, monitoring, reporting, implementing, planning and improving Business Relationship Management, leading to a Specialist qualification in Business Relationship Management.
This qualification reflects the general industry best practices currently in use in IT Service Management (ITSM) and particularly Business Relationship Management. The subject matter within this qualification is based on industry best practice, frameworks and guidelines including ITIL, COBIT and ISO/IEC 20000. This qualification forms part of the 'ITSM Specialist' series.
Holders of the BCS Specialist Certificate in Business Relationship Management will be able to demonstrate their competence in, and their ability to:
- Explain the goal and objectives of Business Relationship Management
- Understand and explain processes, roles and functions, especially those related to BRM
- Use different approaches to, and application of, standards, industry best practice frameworks and guidelines, relevant to BRM
- Develop and improve the internal, customer and business focus of BRM
- Define the value of IT to the business, the business value chain and the value network
- Implement and manage the processes for managing the provision of service, implementation of new services and service reporting through all stages of the service lifecycle
- Develop and agree the approach to business/IT alignment in collaboration with the relevant stakeholders
- Develop relationships with customers and business managers by meeting, discussing, reviewing and negotiating with customers, users, stakeholders and other business managers
- Understand the business viewpoint and the need for communication
- Use and apply the Demand Management process to define future customer and business needs
- Assist with the production of business cases
- Be aware of the support tools and techniques available for the implementation and support of Busines Relationship Management, where possible identifying and instigating improvements
- Practical analysis of reports and statistics and proposing resolutions to improve the overall service performance
- Produce BRM reports for dissemination and interpret and use their contents
- Understand the interdependencies between BRM and other IT areas and processes
- Assist with the planning and implementation of BRM
This course is aimed at those working or preparing to work in a Business Relationship Management role and/or within a Business Relationship Management process whether at a technical, operational, supervisory or managerial level. This course may also be of interest to Project Managers, Business Managers and Business Process Owners.
The purpose of the Specialist qualification in Business Relationship Management is to certify that the candidate has gained the knowledge of relevant industry best practices and is capable of applying them in a working environment.
This course is aimed at:
- Individuals who require a working knowledge of the industry best practice used in Business Relationship Management and how it may be used to enhance the quality of ITSM within an organisation.
- IT professionals who are working within an organisation which has adopted and adapted some of these practices and are required to deliver or improve Business Relationship Management within an ongoing Service Improvement Programme (SIP).
Possession of the ITIL V3 Foundation Certificate in Service Management or the ITIL V2 Foundation Certificate in Service Management plus the Bridging Certificate is mandatory before the qualification can be awarded.
Candidates who do not yet hold either of the above (e.g. they are waiting for their Foundation result) will have their exam result withheld until they can provide evidence of certification.
On attending the course please ensure you provide documented evidence that you have passed the ITIL Version 3 Foundation Certificate or ITIL Version 2-3 Foundation Bridge Certificate, by either presenting your certificate (or a copy of your certificate) to the course lecturer.
If you cannot provide the physical certificate, then as a minimum you must provide the certificate number. If the exam board was not ISEB/BCS, you must also provide the name of the examination board who issued the certificate.
Failure to comply with this requirement will result in you exam results being withheld by the exam accreditation body.
If you have lost your certificate or you do not have a record of your certificate number please contact BCS directly before attending the course. BCS can be contacted on the following number 01793 417655.
Success on the course will be enhanced by candidates spending at least 10 hours on reviewing their ITIL Foundation material prior to attending a BCS Specialist course.
The examination is a 1.5 hours 'closed book', multiple-choice paper. There are 25 questions which are scenario based.
Normally, the examination will be held on the last afternoon of the course. However, BCS will normally also arrange four central examinations per year in March, June, September and December; please contact the BCS for further details.
The examination fee is included in the course price.
This qualification forms part of the BCS ITSM Specialist series.
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
Edinburgh — £925 (+VAT)
London — £925 (+VAT)
Manchester — £925 (+VAT)
Business Relationship Management and related processes, based on industry best practices
Tools, methods and techniques
BRM roles and responsibilities - SFIA and ITIL
Control, measurement and reporting activities
Analysis of reports, statistics and trends
Interfaces and dependencies
Planning, improvement and implementation