BCS Specialist Certificate in Service Level Management — A 3 day course
This course is no longer available from GBdirect.
This course provides candidates with an understanding of the principles of, and practical experience, of using industry best practice involved in the compilation of a Service Catalogue, identification of service level requirements, construction of Service Level Agreements following negotiation with the customers, reviewing of service performance and implementing and managing service improvement plans or programmes leading to a Specialist qualification in Service Level Management.
This qualification reflects the general industry best practices currently in use in IT Service Management (ITSM) and particularly Service Level Management.
The subject matter within this qualification is based on industry best practice, frameworks and guidelines including ITIL®, COBIT and ISO/IEC 20000. This qualification forms part of the 'ITSM Specialist' series.
Holders of the BCS Specialist Certificate in Service Level Management will be able to demonstrate their competence in, and their ability to:
- Explain the goals and objectives of Service Level Management
- Understand and explain processes and roles of Service Level Management
- Use different approaches to, and application of, standards, industry best practice frameworks and guidelines, relevant to Service Level Management
- Develop and improve the customer and business focus of Service Level Management
- Compile and maintain a Service Catalogue
- Plan and construct a suitable structure and format for Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Identify Service Level Requirements (SLRs) via discussion and agreement with the Customer
- Negotiate and agree SLAs with the Customer
- Understand and identify Operating Level Agreements (OLAs)
- Negotiate and agree OLAs with the IT Providers
- Implement and manage Service Improvement Programmes (SIPs)
- Be aware of the support tools and techniques available for the implementation and support of Service Level Management
- Monitor, review and report on service performance against SLA and OLA targets
- Understand the interdependencies between Service Level Management and other IT areas and processes
- Assist with the planning and implementation of Service Level Management
Service Level Management process, based on industry best practices
Tools, methods and techniques
Service Level Management roles and responsibilities - SFIA and ITIL®
Control, measurement and reporting activities
Analysis of Service reports, Availability reports and Operational reports
Interfaces and dependencies
Planning, improvement and implementation
This course has been retired and is no longer available.
This course is aimed at those working or preparing to work in a Service Level Management role and/or within a Service Level Management process whether at a technical, operational, supervisory or managerial level. This course may also be of interest to Project Managers, Business Managers and Business Process Owners.
The purpose of the Specialist qualification in Service Level Management is to certify that the candidate has gained the knowledge of relevant industry best practices and is capable of applying them in a working environment.
This course is aimed at:
Individuals who require a working knowledge of the industry best practice used in Service Level Management and how it may be used to enhance the quality of ITSM within an organisation.
IT professionals who are working within an organisation which has adopted and adapted some of these practices and are required to deliver or improve Service Level Management within an ongoing Service Improvement Programme (SIP).
Possession of the ITIL® V3 Foundation Certificate in Service Management or the ITIL® V2 Foundation Certificate in Service Management plus the Bridging Certificate is mandatory before the qualification can be awarded.
Candidates who do not yet hold either of the above (e.g. they are waiting for their Foundation result) will have their exam result withheld until they can provide evidence of certification.
On attending the course please ensure you provide documented evidence that you have passed the ITIL® Version 3 Foundation Certificate or ITIL® Version 2-3 Foundation Bridge Certificate by either presenting your certificate (or a copy of your certificate ) to the course lecturer. If you cannot provide the physical certificate, then as a minimum you must provide the certificate number.
If the exam board was not BCS, you must also provide the name of the examination board who issued the certificate. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in you exam results being withheld by the exam accreditation body.
If you have lost your certificate or you do not have a record of your certificate number please contact BCS directly before attending the course. BCS/ISEB can be contacted on the following number 01793 417655.
Success on the course will be enhanced by candidates spending at least 10 hours on reviewing their ITIL® Foundation material prior to attending a BCS Specialist course.
The examination is a 1.5 hours 'closed book', multiple-choice paper. There are 25 questions which are scenario based.
Normally, the examination will be held on the last afternoon of the course. However, BCS will normally also arrange four central examinations per year in March, June, September and December; please contact the BCS for further details.
The examination fee is included in the course price.
This qualification forms part of the BCS ITSM Specialist series.