BCS Certificate in Business Analysis Practice — A 3 day course
This course replaces Business Analysis Essentials.
Business Analysts are increasingly required to extend themselves beyond their traditional role of developing and maintaining IT systems.
They need the capability to understand the business strategy, use proven techniques to analyse the business area, and identify changes to business processes needed to meet internal and external challenges.
This course develops the skills needed to work with senior business and IT staff to analyse and model business activities. Delegates will learn how to investigate business problems, and how to identify and recommend appropriate creative solutions.
At the end of the course delegates may sit an examination to attain the BCS Business Systems Development Certificate in Business Analysis Practice.
This course will enable delegates to:
- Describe how a business strategy is developed
- Use strategic analysis techniques
- Describe the need for project discipline
- Explain techniques to investigate an organisation's business systems
- Describe an approach to improving business systems
- Explain the importance of stakeholder management and use a stakeholder analysis technique
- Use techniques for the analysis and modelling of business systems
- Describe how recommendations for business improvement may be identified
- Describe the contents of a rigorous business case for the development and implementation of business changes
- Identify costs, benefits, impacts and risks for an option in a business case
Business analysis rationale
- A lifecycle for business change
- The role of the Business Analyst within the lifecycle for business change
- Other roles within the lifecycle for business change
- The framework business analysis activities
Understanding the strategic context
- Internal environment analysis
- External environment analysis
- SWOT analysis
- Critical Success Factors, Key Performance Indicators and Performance Targets
- The Balanced Business Scorecard as a framework for identifying CSFs and KPIs
Project discipline for business analysis studies
- Terms of reference/project initiation
- Business and project objectives
- Deliverables from business analysis studies
Understanding the situation/issues
- Stakeholder identification
- Overview of investigative techniques
- Representing an holistic view of the business situation
Analysing stakeholder perspectives
- Stakeholder analysis
- Identifying different perspectives
- Defining perspectives
Analysing and modelling business activities
- Developing a conceptual business activity model from a perspective
- Identifying business events
- Analysing business rules
- Building consensus by resolving conflicts
Identifying potential solutions
- Gap analysis - comparing the ideal and existing systems
- Defining a new business model
- Identifying IS/IT requirements to support the new business model
Making the business case
- Structure of a business case
- Identifying options for business change
- Identifying and categorizing costs and benefits
- Identifying and categorizing risks
- Identifying impacts
- The lifecycle for the business case
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
Belfast, NI — £1495 (+VAT)
Birmingham — £1495 (+VAT)
Dublin — £1495 (+VAT)
Edinburgh — £1495 (+VAT)
Leeds — £1495 (+VAT)
Liverpool — £1495 (+VAT)
London — £1495 (+VAT)
Manchester — £1495 (+VAT)
Milton Keynes — £1495 (+VAT)
Newcastle — £1495 (+VAT)
Business Analysts who wish to gain the BCS Certificate in Business Analysis Practice
Systems analysts and business users will also benefit from attending the course
There are no specific pre-requisites for entry to the examination, however candidates should be suitably prepared and possess the appropriate skills and knowledge to fulfil the objectives.
This course prepares participants to sit the examination for the BCS Professional Certification (ISEB) in Business Analysis Practice. The exam cost is not always included in the price of the course. Please ask at time of enquiry.
This certificate is a core module for the Business Analysis Diploma and is a specialist module in the Solution Development Diploma.
In addition to covering the full ISEB syllabus, this course is approved as consistent with the IIBA BABoK version 2.0.