Introduction to Hibernate — A 2 day course
Hibernate has emerged as the most widely used object-relational mapping (ORM) library for Java. ORM is used to persist Java objects to relational databases, and Hibernate does this in a transparent but flexible way. As well as being used stand-alone, it is also often integrated with the Spring framework when writing enterprise applications.
Note: This course can be run with the Spring course to give a full five-day introduction to Spring and Hibernate.
- What is Hibernate?
- Object-Relational Mapping
- Obtaining and installing Hibernate
- Mapping POJOs using XML
- Mapping POJOs using annotations
- Mapping properties to columns
- Using Sessions
- Configuring the SessionManager
- Setting up relationships
- Using one-to-many relationships
- Bidirectional relationships
- Many-to-many relationships
- Inheritance relationships
- Mapping collections
- Queries in Hibernate
- Introduction to the Criteria API
- Creating queries using Criteria
- Processing query results
- Introduction to HQL
- Creating HQL queries
- Named queries
Java programmers, with more than six months experience of writing real applications. Experience of J2EE would be an advantage, but is not essential.