Microsoft Course 2793 - Implementing and Maintaining Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services — A 3-Day Course
Please note that this course has been retired and is no longer available. Please see the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 page for courses currently available in this subject area.
This three-day instructor-led M2793 course teaches students how to implement a Reporting Services solution in an organization. The course discusses how to use the Reporting Services development tools to create reports, and how to use the Reporting Services management and administrative tools to manage a Reporting Services solution.
On completion of this M2793 training course, students should be able to:
- Describe SQL Server Reporting Services and its components
- Create a Reporting Services report
- Enhance a Reporting Services report
- Create and manipulate data sets
- Use report models to implement reporting for business users
- Configure report publishing and execution settings
- Implement subscriptions for reports
- Administer Reporting Services
- Implement custom Reporting Services applications
This course is intended for information technology (IT) professionals and developers who need to implement reporting solutions by using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services.
Before attending this course, students should have the following prerequisites:
- Exposure to creating reports in Microsoft Access or other third-party reporting products, such as Crystal Reports
- Conceptual understanding of the push and pull distribution/subscription paradigm
- Experience navigating the Microsoft Windows Server environment
- Experience with Windows services (starting and stopping)
- Experience creating service accounts and permissions
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server, including:
- SQL Server Agent
- SQL Server query language (SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, and DELETE)
- SQL Server System tables
- SQL Server accounts (users and permissions)
This course has been retired and is no longer available.
Outline Course Contents
Introduction to SQL Server 2005 Integration Services
This module introduces the role that Integration Services plays in extracting, transforming, and loading data. This module also describes the tools that you can use to build and manage Integration Services solutions.
- Overview of Integration Services Solutions
- Integration Services Tools
- Lab: Using SQL Server Integration Services
Introduction to Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services
This module introduces the role that Reporting Services plays in an organization's reporting life cycle, the key features offered by Reporting Services, and the components that make up the Reporting Services architecture.
- Overview of SQL Server Reporting Services
- Installing Reporting Services
- Reporting Services Tools
- Lab: Using Reporting Services Tools
Module: Authoring Basic Reports
This module introduces the fundamentals of report authoring, including configuring data sources and data sets, creating tabular reports, summarizing data, and applying basic formatting.
- Creating a Basic Table Report
- Formatting Report Pages
- Calculating Values
- Lab: Creating a Simple Report
Enhancing Basic Reports
This module introduces navigational controls and some additional types of data regions, and discusses how to use them to enhance a basic report.
- Interactive Navigation
- Displaying Data
- Lab: Enhancing a Report
Manipulating Data Sets
This module explores data sets to a greater depth, including the use of alternative data sources and interacting with a data set through the use of parameters. Students learn how to dynamically modify the data set underlying a data region by allowing parameters to be sent to the underlying query. They also learn to use best practices to implement static and dynamic parameter lists when interacting with queries and stored procedures.
- Defining Report Data
- Using Parameters and Filters
- Using Parameter Lists
- Lab: Manipulating Data Sets
Using Report Models
This module describes how to create a report model so that business users can create their own reports without using the full Report Designer development environment. Students also learn how to use Report Builder to create a report from a report model.
- Creating Report Models
- Using Report Builder
- Lab: Working with Report Models
Publishing and Executing Reports
This module explains the various options you can use to publish reports to the report server and execute them.
- Publishing Reports
- Executing Reports
- Creating Cached Instances
- Creating Snapshots and Report History
- Publishing and Executing Reports
Using Subscriptions to Distribute Reports
This module describes how to implement subscriptions so that you can distribute reports either automatically by e-mail or by publishing reports to a shared folder.
- Introduction to Report Subscriptions
- Creating Report Subscriptions
- Managing Report Subscriptions
- Lab: Implementing Subscriptions
Administering Reporting Services
This module discusses how to administer the Reporting Services server, how to monitor and optimize the performance of the report server, how to maintain the Reporting Services databases, and how to keep the system secure.
- Server Administration
- Performance and Reliability Monitoring
- Administering Report Server Databases
- Security Administration
- Lab: Administering Reporting Services
Programming Reporting Services
This module explains how to query Reporting Services information programmatically and how to automate report management tasks. Students also learn how to render reports without relying on Report Manager, and how you can extend the feature set of a report server by creating custom code.
- Querying for Server Information Using a Web Service
- Automating Report Management
- Rendering Reports
- Creating Custom Code
- Lab: Programming Reporting Services