Microsoft Course 6231 - Maintaining a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Database — A 5 day course
Th Microsoft M6231 course provides students with the knowledge and skills to maintain a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 database. The course focuses on teaching individuals how to use SQL Server 2008 product features and tools related to maintaining a database.
After completing the Microsoft M6231 training course the student will be able to:
- Install and configure SQL Server 2008
- Manage database files
- Backup and restore databases
- Manage security
- Transfer data into and out of SQL Server
- Automate administrative tasks
- Replicate data between SQL Server instances
- Maintain high availability
- Monitor SQL Server
Installing and Configuring SQL Server
The students will be introduced to planning for a SQL Server installation. The students will then be introduced to installing, configuring, and managing SQL Server.
- Preparing to Install SQL Server
- Installing SQL Server
- Configuring a SQL Server Installation
Managing Databases and Files
The students will be introduced to database planning and creation, and using database options to control database behaviour.
- Planning Databases
- Creating Databases
- Using Policy-Based Management
The students will be introduced to disaster recovery techniques for SQL Server. They will learn how to perform different types of backup and restore operations, including online restores and backup and restores of system databases.
- Planning a Backup Strategy
- Backing Up User Databases
- Restoring User Databases
- Performing Online Restore Operations
- Recovering Data from Database Snapshots
- System Databases and Disaster Recovery
The students will be introduced to protecting SQL Server. Students will learn about the SQL Server security model and how to use SQL Server security features to control access to databases and their contents.
- Overview of SQL Server Security
- Protecting the Server Scope
- Protecting the Database Scope
- Protecting the Server Scope
- Auditing Security
The students will be introduced to transfer data to and from SQL Server using UI and command-line tools, and learn about transferring and transforming data with SQL Server Integration Services.
- Overview of Data Transfer
- Introduction to SQL Server Integration Services
Automating Administrative Tasks
The students will learn how to automate routine administrative tasks using jobs, operators, and alerts.
- Automating Administrative Tasks in SQL Server
- Using SQL Server Agent
- Creating Maintenance Plans
- Implementing Alerts
- Managing Multiple Servers
- Managing SQL Server Agent security
The students will be introduced to techniques for configuring SQL Server replication.
- Overview of Replication
- Managing Publications and Subscriptions
- Configuring Replication in Some Common Scenarios
Maintaining High Availability
The students will be introduced to concepts and methods for maintaining high availability with SQL Server.
- Introduction to High Availability
- Implementing Log Shipping
- Implementing Database Mirroring
- Implementing Server Clustering
- Using Distributed High Availability Solutions
Monitoring SQL Server
The students will be introduced to monitoring SQL Server performance and activity.
- Viewing Current Activity
- Using SQL Server Profiler
- Monitoring with DDL Triggers
- Using Event Notifications
Troubleshooting and Performance Tuning
The students will learn how to troubleshoot a variety of common SQL Server problems. Students will also learn how to tune SQL Server for improved performance using a variety of tools.
- Troubleshooting SQL Server
- Performance Tuning in SQL Server
- Using Resource Governor
- Using Data Collector
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
A schedule of dates for this subject is not currently available. Please call 0333 210 0140 or use our contact form to enquire about places and availability.
The Microsoft MS6231 course is intended for IT Professionals who administer and maintain SQL Server databases.
Before attending the Microsoft 6231 course, students should have the following prerequisites:
Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality
Working knowledge of Transact-SQL
Working knowledge of relational databases
Some experience with database design
This course along with M6232 - Implementing a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Database helps candidates prepare for the Exam 70-432.
When you pass Exam 70-432: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance, you complete the requirements for the following certification(s):
Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS): Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance