Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Update for Developers — A 2-day course
Please note that this course has been retired and is no longer available. Please see the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 page for courses currently available in this subject area.
This two-day instructor-led workshop provides students with an overview of new features in SQL Server 2012 with regard to Always On, Development and Business Intelligence features.
The primary audience for this course is individuals who are familiar with SQL Server 2008 and wish to assess how SQL Server 2012 will further impact their business solutions.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- In-depth knowledge of SQL Server 2008 Relational Database Management System
- In-depth knowledge of SQL Server Analysis Server
- Knowledge of .NET technologies
- Experience with reporting and analysis technologies such as Microsoft Excel
This course has been retired and is no longer available.
Outline Course Contents
Module 1: Introduction to SQL Server 2012
An overview of the key improvements in SQL Server 2012 from a developer perspective in the context of Microsoft's overall platform strategy.
Module 2: Introduction to SQL Server AlwaysOn
- An overview of the new high availabilty and disaster recovery capabilities provided by SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn, including Availability Groups, partial containment and contained users
- Application connectivity to AlwaysOn Availability Groups using Availability Group Listeners
- An overview of SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn support for readable secondary replicas which can help maximimize hardware utilization by servicing read-only workloads like backup and reporting
- An overview of failover clustering imporvements introduced in SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn
Module 3: Exploring and Managing SQL Server 2012 Database Engine Improvements
- Columnstore indexes provide an easy way to significantly improve data warehouse and decision support query performance against very large data sets
- SQL Server 2012 offers several important improvements that related to table partitioning, including more partitions per table, improved online operations, better index build performance and new wizards
- SQL Server 2012 improvements that impact security and auditing, including new support for default schema for groups, user-defined server roles and various auditing improvements
- SQL Server extended events enable rich diagnostic troubleshooting capabilities, and SQL Server 2012 provides new tools and APIs for extended events.
- SQL Server 2012 introduces an important new utility called Distributed Replay that will change the way you benchmark and test your database workloads
Module 4: SQL Server 2012 Database Server Programmability
- SQL Server 2012 introduces several Transact-SQL improvements that impact developer productivity and support for key standards, including easier query results pagination and sequence generators
- Developers who exploit spatial data types in their applications will find some helpful improvements in SQL Server 2012, including support for new shapes and methods, full globe support and spatial index enhancements
- SQL Server 2012 combines the high performance database blob storage capabilities of FILESTREAM with new SMB file sharing capabilities of FileTable to enable rich support for content as an integrated part of a database application. Once content is managed by SQL Server, exciting new search scenarios can be powered by full text search and statistical semantic search
- SQL Server 2012 Express Edition introduces a new deployment option called Local Database Runtime. LocalDb is a small shared component (not a service) that installs in five minutes or less that is ideal for applications or tools that need an embedded database that is API compatible with SQL Server
Module 5: SQL Server 2012 Application Development
- SQL Server Data Tools provides a modern development experience for building database applications, and makes it easy to target both your on-premise environment and the cloud
- Data-Tier Applications, or DAC FX, provides a set of API's, tools and services that dramatically simplify developing, deploying and versioning databases for both your on-premise environment and the cloud. This presentation will talk about what's new with DAC Fx including support for in-place upgrades, integration with SSDT, support for new objects and more
- Developers leveraging the ADO.NET Entity Framework as an ORM layer will find improved integration with SQL Server 2012 including support for more objects, improved support for stored procedures and improved performance
- StreamInsight 1.2 is a set of APIs and services included with SQL Server 2012 that helps database developers address real-time data processing workloads, and makes it it easy to develop standing queries over continuous event-stream data that deliver real-time insight
- StreamInsight makes it easy to build standing queries over event-stream data that are continuously evaluated. StreamInsight 1.2 introduces support for observable .NET classes as an event source, which dramatically simplifies the coding required to start querying many different types of event streams
Module 6: SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Information Management
- SQL Server 2012 Integration Services introduces a host of new improvements of interest to developers and IT Professionals alike. Developers will appreciate a greatly improved package design experience, and IT Professionals will find a powerful new set of tools and services that will greatly simplify the deployment, management and monitoring of SSIS packages running on servers
- SQL Server 2012 Master Data Services is a set of tools and services that can be used to integrate disparate information systems that share common data sets into a common master data management solution. This new release offers several key improvements centered around usability, robustness, security, scale, and performance
- SQL Server 2012 Data Quality Services is a new knowledge-driven data cleansing solution that makes it easy to correct and de-duplicate data. DQS makes it easy for domain experts to build and improve a data quality knowledge base over time and can be reused by other solutions like Integration Services and Master Data Services
Module 7: SQL Server 2012 Business Intelligence
- SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services introduces an impressive array of improvements designed to expand the reach a broader user base. SSAS brings together the existing multi-dimensional model with the new tabular model pioneered by PowerPivot under a single unified platform - the BI Semantic Model
- The SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services release embraces tabular model development. The tabular development approach, introduced with SQL Server 2008 R2 PowerPivot, is now available to the IT Professional, and extends beyond the features available in PowerPivot. PowerPivot has been enhanced with new model designer features and improved SharePoint integration, and Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) is available to both model development approaches, and has been enhanced
- SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services has been upgraded with new features and capabilities, including an exciting new self-service visual design experience named Power View, increased end-user productivity with data alerts, and improved better integration with SharePoint
- SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services introduces Power View, an interactive data exploration, visualization, and presentation experience which provides intuitive self-service reporting for business users against data exposed through the BI Semantic Model