Advanced Performance Testing — A 2 day course
This course has been retired. Please review the Software Testing portfolio for available courses.
System performance is often the most critical factor that determines the success a software system implementation. Performance testing must be carried out to mitigating the risk of the system not meeting its performance requirements. Businesses need to be certain that performance testing is carried out effectively, in a way that minimises cost, as well as protecting their service level agreements.
However, the number of testers who can effectively perform this vital role is low. Out of those testers who have received training in performance testing, most have only been instructed in how to use a particular tool, rather than how to carry out performance testing effectively. It can take years of trial and error to learn how performance testing should be done.
This unique course, delivered by our experienced performance testing practitioners with unrivalled knowledge, builds on the principles taught on the course Fundamentals of Performance Testing, and will give attendees a deep appreciation of how to implement real life performance testing. The skills gained on this course will make a significant difference to the implementation business systems that will ensure delivery of consistent and acceptable performance to the end user.
On completion of this course, attendees will:
- Understand the mechanics of applying effective load and performance testing
- Understand when to implement load and performance testing
- Be aware of the different load and performance testing tools and be able to justify and choose the appropriate tool for the job
- Identify and understand pragmatic fixes for common performance problems
- Understand the skills and experience needed for load and performance testing
- Be able to develop and implement their own load and performance test plan, and be to confidence in its success
Quality assurance engineers, performance engineers, load and performance testers, technical managers and anyone who is required to perform, is involved in implementing, or manages load and performance testing.
Attendees will need a basic knowledge of software testing principals as well as a solid background in load and performance testing.
Attendees new to performance testing should consider the course Fundamentals of Performance Testing prior to attending this course.
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
A schedule of dates for this subject is not currently available. Please call 0333 210 0140 or use our contact form to enquire about places and availability.
Classic performance patters and tool selection
- Older technology (for example, mainframe, thick or thin client, verses current web technologies)
- New technologies (for example, Web 2.0, SOA, streaming media and mobile applications)
- Selection of tools specific to test these technologies
Early performance testing
- Architecture challenges
- How performance issues can be avoided early
- Early performance code testing
Test environment extrapolation
- How can performance tests be run on non-production hardware and still be meaningful
Advanced statistics and the use of spreadsheets
- How statistics can be used to augment results
- Useful statistical methods for performance testing
Advanced result analysis
- How results analysis can help optimise performance
- Metrics and results
- Exit criteria
Cardinal sins to avoid
- Common problems and mistakes and how to avoid them