Apple Mac Management Basics 10.9 — A 2 day course
The Mac Management Basics v10.9 training course is a two day instructor led course with plenty of hands on labs that is designed for technical professionals who want to learn more about deploying and managing multiple Mac computers.
The first day covers deploying Macs, focusing on methods for deploying software including creating installer packages, and using network disk images for system software deployment.
The second day looks into solutions for managing OS X computers, including using Apple Remote Desktop and Profile Manager, but also discusses using the Software Update and Caching services in OS X Server to assist with management and deployment of updates and apps.
Throughout the course you will use a number of Apple tools including NetBoot and NetInstall Service, Software Update Server, Caching Service, Remote Desktop, System Image Utility and Package Maker.
The main goal of this course is to introduce technicians to the basic techniques for using Apple's tools for deploying and managing Mac computers.
Creating Installer Packages
- About installer packages
- Signing installer packages
- Creating Packages from the Command Line
- Using Receipts to track Installer Package Installations
- Creating Installer Packages with Third-Party Utilities
Creating System Images
- System Image Overview
- Creating images with Disk Utility
- Creating images with System Image Utility
- Automations with System Image Utility
Deploying System Images
- System deployment concepts
- Local deployment
- NetBoot Overview
- Understanding & Configuring the NetInstall service
- Minimal-Touch Deployments
- Third-party system deployment tools
Managing Computers with Apple Remote Desktop
- Enable Remote Management
- Creating Apple Remote Desktop Computer Lists
- Deploying software and settings
- Inventory tools and reporting
- Using ARD to schedule tasks and ARD Task Servers
- About Profile Manager
- Profile Manager Components and Modes
- About Configuration Profiles
- Setting up a Profile Manager Server
- Client Management Suites, Editing
- Distributing & Installing Configuration Profiles
- Client Management Suites
Managing Software Updates
- Software Update Overview
- Software Update Policy
- Configuring the OS X Server Software Update Service
- Configuring Software Update Server Clients
- Third-party Software Update Service
Caching Software Downloads
- Caching Service Overview
- Caching Service Requirements
- Configuring the Apple Caching Service
- Comparing the Caching and Software Update Services
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
A schedule of dates for this subject is not currently available. Please call 0333 210 0140 or use our contact form to enquire about places and availability.
- Help desk specialists, technical coordinators, service technicians or IT professionals who need to distribute and manage multiple Macs in a corporate environment, or are working in a medium to large-scale company or educational institution undertaking the task of distributing, redeploying and managing a large number of Mac computers
- System Administrators at an educational institution who need to enforce IT policies on student and faculty computers
- Resellers, distributors, systems integrators, and consultants who are selling Mac computers
Students should have the following prerequisite knowledge prior to attending this course:
- The material assumes you have a basic understanding of Mac OS X skills and terminology
- Basic knowledge of connecting Macs to network services is also advisable, or prior attendance of either/both of the following courses:
The Apple Certified Associate Mac Management 10.9 certification is granted on successful completion of the Mac Management Basics v10.9 exam.