Microsoft Course 20412 - Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services — A 5 day course
This Microsoft M20412 course is built on the final release version of Windows Server 2012.
Learn how to provision and configure advanced services using Windows Server 2012 with this five-day course.
This course is part three, in a series of three courses that provides the skills and knowledge necessary to implement a core Windows Server 2012 infrastructure in an existing enterprise environment. The three courses will collectively cover implementing, managing, maintaining and provisioning services and infrastructure in a Windows Server 2012 environment.
Although there is some cross-over of skills and tasks across these three courses, this course primarily covers advanced configuration of services necessary to deploy, manage and maintain a Windows Server 2012 infrastructure, such as advanced networking services, Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), identity management, rights management, Federated services, network load balancing, failover clustering, business continuity and disaster recovery.
Delegates will learn how to:
- Implement advanced network services
- Implement advanced file services
- Implement Dynamic Access Control
- Implement distributed Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) deployments
- Implement AD DS sites and replication
- Implement Active Directory Certification Services (AD CS)
- Implement Active Directory Rights Management Services (AD RMS)
- Implement Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS)
- Implement network load balancing (NLB)
- Implement failover clustering
- Implement failover clustering with Hyper-V
- Implement disaster recovery
Implementing Advanced Network Services
This module describes how to configure advanced features in the Domain Name System (DNS) and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) with Windows Server 2012, and it covers IP Address Management (IPAM).
- Configuring Advanced DHCP Features
- Configuring Advanced DNS Settings
- Implementing IPAM
Lab : Implementing Advanced Network Services
- Configuring Advanced DHCP Settings
- Configuring Advanced DNS Settings
- Configuring IPAM
Implementing Advanced File Services
This module describes how to configure and manage iSCSI and BranchCache, and how to implement Windows 2012 features that optimize storage utilization, such as File Server Resource Manager, file classification, and data duplication.
- Configuring iSCSI Storage
- Configuring BranchCache
- Optimizing Storage Usage
Lab : Implementing Advanced File Services
- Configuring iSCSI Storage
- Configuring the File Classification Infrastructure
Lab : Implementing BranchCache
- Configuring the Main Office Servers for BranchCache
- Configuring the Branch Office Servers for BranchCache
- Configuring Client Computers for BranchCache
- Monitoring BranchCache
Implementing Dynamic Access Control
This module describes how to plan and implement Dynamic Access Control.
- Overview of Dynamic Access Control
- Planning for Dynamic Access Control
- Deploying Dynamic Access Control
Lab : Implementing Dynamic Access Control
- Planning the Dynamic Access Control Implementation
- Configuring User and Device Claims
- Configuring Resource Property Definitions
- Configuring Central Access Rules and Central Access Policies
- Validating and Remediating Dynamic Access Control
- Implementing New Resource Policies
Implementing Distributed Active Directory Domain Services Deployments
This module describes the components of a highly complex AD DS deployment, which includes implementing a distributed AD DS deployment and configuring AD DS forest trusts.
- Overview of Distributed AD DS Deployments
- Deploying a Distributed AD DS Environment
- Configuring AD DS Trusts
Lab : Implementing Complex AD DS Deployments
- Implementing Child Domains in AD DS
- Implementing Forest Trusts
Implementing Active Directory Domain Services Sites and Replication
This module describes how replication works in a Windows Server 2012 AD DS environment, including how to configure AD DS sites so that you can optimize AD DS network traffic and how to configure and monitor AD DS replication.
- Overview of AD DS Replication
- Configuring AD DS Sites
- Configuring and Monitoring AD DS Replication
Lab : Implementing AD DS Sites and Replication
- Modifying the Default Site
- Creating Additional Sites and Subnets
- Configuring AD DS Replication
Implementing Active Directory Certificate Services
This module describes the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) components and concepts. It covers implementing a certification authority infrastructure, planning and implementing a certificate template deployment using an AD CS certification authority, and planning and implementing certificate distribution and revocation.
- PKI Overview
- Deploying CAs
- Deploying and Configuring CA Hierarchy
- Deploying and Managing Certificate Templates
- Implementing Certificate Distribution and Revocation
- Managing Certificate Recovery
Lab : Deploying and Managing Certificates
- Configuring Certificate Templates
- Configuring Certificate Enrollment
- Configuring Certificate Revocation
- Configuring Key Recovery
Implementing Active Directory Rights Management Services
This module describes the AD RMS features and functionality. It explains how to use AD RMS to configure content protection, and deploy and manage an AD RMS infrastructure.
- AD RMS Overview
- Deploying and Managing an AD RMS Infrastructure
- Configuring AD RMS Content Protection
- Configuring External Access to AD RMS
Lab : Implementing AD RMS
- Installing and Configuring AD RMS
- Configuring AD RMS Templates
- Implementing the AD RMS Trust Policies
- Verifying the AD RMS Deployment
Implementing Active Directory Federation Services
This module provides identity federation business scenarios, and it describes how to use AD FS to address such scenarios. It explains how to configure AD FS prerequisites, deploy AD FS services, enable single sign-on (SSO) for an organization, and enable SSO between federated business partners.
- Overview of AD FS
- Deploying AD FS
- Implementing AD FS for a Single Organization
- Deploying AD FS in a B2B Federation Scenario
Lab : Implementing AD FS
- Configuring AD FS Prerequisites
- Installing and Configuring AD FS
- Configuring AD FS for a Single Organization
- Configuring AD FS for Federated Business Partners
Implementing Network Load Balancing
This module describes how to plan and implement NLB. It will cover managing and configuring an NLB cluster and validating high availability for an NLB cluster.
- Overview of NLB
- Configuring an NLB Cluster
- Planning an NLB Implementation
Lab : Implementing Network Load Balancing
- Implementing a Network Load Balancing Cluster
- Configuring and Managing the NLB Cluster
- Validating High Availability for the NLB Cluster
Implementing Failover Clustering
This module describes the failover clustering features in Windows Server 2012. It explains how to implement a failover cluster, configure highly available applications and services on a failover cluster, maintain a failover cluster, and use new maintenance features such as Cluster Aware Updating (CAU). It will also cover how to implement multi-site failover clustering.
- Overview of Failover Clustering
- Implementing a Failover Cluster
- Configuring Highly Available Applications and Services on a Failover Cluster
- Maintaining a Failover Cluster
- Implementing a Multi-Site Failover Cluster
Lab : Implementing Failover Clustering
- Configuring a Failover Cluster
- Deploying and Configuring a Highly Available File Server
- Validating the Deployment of the Highly Available File Server
- Configuring Cluster-Aware Updating on the Failover Cluster
Implementing Failover Clustering with Hyper-V
This module describes the options for making virtual machines highly available. It explains how to implement virtual machines in a failover cluster that was deployed on a host and how you can move a virtual machine or its storage. In addition, it provides a high-level overview of System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2012.
- Overview of Integrating Hyper-V with Failover Clustering
- Implementing Hyper-V Virtual Machines on Failover Clusters
- Implementing Hyper-V Virtual Machine Movement
- Managing Hyper-V Virtual Environments by Using VMM
Lab : Implementing Failover Clustering with Hyper-V
- Configuring Hyper-V Replicas
- Configuring a Failover Cluster for Hyper-V
- Configuring a Highly Available Virtual Machine
Implementing Disaster Recovery
This module describes considerations for implementing a disaster recovery solution, and how to plan and implement a backup solution for Windows Server 2012. In addition, it explains how to plan and implement server and data recovery using Windows Server backup and Microsoft Online backup.
- Overview of Disaster Recovery
- Implementing Windows Server Backup
- Implementing Server and Data Recovery
Lab : Implementing Windows Server Backup and Restore
- Backing Up Data on a Windows Server 2012 Server
- Restoring Files Using Windows Server Backup
- Implementing Microsoft Online Backup and Restore
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
Birmingham — £995 (+VAT)
London — £995 (+VAT)
This course is intended for IT professionals with hands-on experience implementing, managing, and maintaining a Windows Server 2012 infrastructure in an existing enterprise environment, who wish to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to perform advanced management and provisioning of services within that Windows Server 2012 environment. Suitable candidates are typically experienced system administrators who have real-world experience working in a Windows Server 2008, Windows server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012 environment.
The secondary audience for this course are candidates who plan to take Exam 70-412: Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services, or who want to acquire the Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) credential.
The Microsoft MS20412 course is the final step to help candidates work towards the Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) Windows Server 2012 qualification. This course helps prepare candidates for Exam 70-412 - Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012. The exam is arranged separately from the course and the exam fee is not included in the price of the course.
Follow on Courses
Delegates wishing to work towards the Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) qualification should also review:
- M20413 - Designing and Implementing a Server Infrastructure
- M20414 - Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure
Other related courses:
- M20415 - Implementing a Desktop Infrastructure
- M20416 - Implementing Desktop Application Environments
- M20417 - Upgrading your skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012
- Good hands-on experience working in a Windows Server 2008, Windows server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012 enterprise environment
- Real-world experience implementing, managing, and configuring AD DS and networking infrastructure in an enterprise environment
- Knowledge equivalent to the learning covered in M20410 - Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 and M20411 - Administering Windows Server 2012 courses, as this course will build upon that knowledge.