Ruby on Rails — A 2 day course
Ruby is a high level Interpreted, Object Oriented, rapid development language deployed in many scenarios in the modern world.
This Ruby on Rails course is designed to give delegates the knowledge to develop / maintain Ruby scripts and Rails based projects.
Knowledge of Ruby to write, modify, maintain and understand Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
The delegate will learn to:
- Work with REST and describe the purpose of REST and the Rails MVC architecture
- Use RAILS and describe the purpose of Rails Routes
- Create a project using Ruby and Rails
- Create and customise a Rails Application using scaffold and the SQLite3 database
Programmers who need to write & maintain scripts in Ruby and projects based on Ruby on Rails.
Experience of programming in Ruby. This can be achieved by attending the Ruby Programming course.
Publicly scheduled dates, locations, and prices
A schedule of dates for this subject is not currently available. Please call 0333 210 0140 or use our contact form to enquire about places and availability.
- What is REST
- RESTful architecture
- A simple REST client
Introduction to Ruby on Rails
- Install Ruby on Rails on an operating system
- The Model-View-Controller approach
- Rails Conventions
- Rails project structure
- Using RubyGems with Rails
- What is a Route
- Define routes that recognize incoming URLs
- Use named route methods to generate URLs based on the routing scheme
- Apply and understand the RESTful routing conventions
- Design apps to take advantage of the REST conventions in Rails
- What is a Model
- Using ActiveRecord
- What is a Controller
- Creating controllers
- Using ActionController
- Writing Actions
- What is a View
- Exploring ActionView
- Writing Views for actions
Creating a Rails Project
- Creating the project
- Project Directory structure
- Using the Rails web server
- Creating the initial controller
- Modify the initial index.html file
- Setting the Route
- Creating a resource
- Viewing routes with rake
- What is Scaffolding
- Creating a new project
- Generating the Rail Scaffold
- Customising the application